Kandariya Mahadev Temple
Kandariya Mahadeva Temple is the largest, tallest and most beautiful Hindu Temple of the Khajuraho Group of Temples. This medieval marvel dates back to 1050 BC and was built by Raja Dhandadeva, a strong Chandela ruler. The temple is embellished with ornate carvings and sculptures.
Its main spire (Shikhara) depicts Mount Kailash and stands with a height of 31 meters. Surrounding this spire are other 84 miniature spires (Urushringas). This temple is dedicated to Hindu Lord Shiva, and has a Shiva Linga made of marbel, as its sanctum. About 646 statues are installed in its boundary that looks even more appealing. The façade of this temple is east facing.
The entrance has staircase and porch that is adorned with garlands chiseled out of a single stone. It is estimated that Kandariya Mahdeva has about 870 sculptures, with one meter height each. On the inside is the deity of Lord Shiva, holding a trident and snake, with the deities of Vishnu and Brahma. The whole plan of this temple is somewhat similar to Lakshman and Vishwanath Temple; with all rooms arrayed from east to west and balconies on the south and north.