Parsvanath Temple in khajuraho
Among all other Jain Temples in Khajuraho, the Parsvanath Temple is the most impressive. Categorized among the Eastern Group of Temples, the architectural pattern of the Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho bears ample resemblance with the Hindu Temples of Khajuraho. The minute sculptural detailing on the body of the Khajuraho Parsvanath Temple makes it one of the chief Tourist Attractions in Khajuraho.
History of Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho:
The Parsvanath Temple in Khajuraho, India was constructed in the middle of the 10th century during the reign of Dhangadeva. The temple was previously devoted to Adinath, who was the first Tirthankara (religious saint) of the Jains. However, in the year, 1860, the image of Parsvanath, as can be seen today, was put in.
While King Yasovarman constructed the Lakshmana temple, Pahila who was honored by King Dhanga, the son and successor of Yasovarman, took the task of constructing the Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho.
Description of Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho:
The walls of the Parsvanath Temple in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh depicts the images of elephants, lions and sea nymphs. Despite being a Jain Temple, the walls also bears the images of Hindu (especially Vaishnav) deities.
There are a couple of axial projections at the two ends of the Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho namely the ardh mandap(hall) to the east and a small shrine behind the ‘garba griha’ to the west. The sculptural, architectural and inscriptional evidence on the Parsvanath Temple, Khajuraho indicate that Adinath had been a close successor of the Lakshman.