Rajasthan Minor Destinations
Abhaneri is a village about 95 kms from Jaipur on the Jaipur-Agra Road. A detour is well merited for its amazing step wells or 'baoris' and Harshat Mata Temple. According to a legend, the village is so called because the Goddess Harshat Mata who is shown portrayed in a joyous mood is believed to spread brightness or "abha" all around. The village's original name was Abha Nagri, and its name today is Abhaneri.
Deshnok is a small village situated 32 km south from Bikaner city along the Jodhpur Road. It is connected by national highway and rail. It is a pilgrim centre of Karni Mata. Karni Mata, considered as an incarnation of Goddess Durga lived here in the fourteenth century and performed many miracles.
The princely state of the Jhalas created in 1838 AD, after being separated from Kota by the British. It is best explored by foot within the city and a horse safari in the outskirts as Jhalawar boasts of rich natural wealth, with flora and fauna as active.
Located at 182 kms southwest of Jaipur, it was founded in 1348 and is best known for its Krishna Temples. The Fort, which was constructed over different period, is about 600 years old. The fort was the residence for the royal family until 1950 and is now occupied by monkeys and geese.
Village is situated 130 kms from Jodhpur and 5 kms from Phalodi. This is a natural sanctuary to the bird Kurjan. This bird belongs to South Western Europe, Black sea, Poland, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, North and South Africa and Mongolia.
Kishangarh is 27 Kms north east of Ajmer and was founded by Kishan Singh a Rathore Prince. In the 18th century it acclaimed fame as one of the finest schools of miniatures paintings. Though a smaller school with a much shorter duration it had a more refined style. It peaked under the patronage of Savant Singh an heir to the throne, who later became a hermit.
Nathdwara lies 48 kms from Udaipur and literally means the gateway to the Lord. This great Vaishnavite shrine was built in the 17th century on spot exactly defined by the Lord himself. The legends have it that the image of the Lord Krishna was being transferred to safer place from Vrindaban to protect it from the destructive wrath of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb.
Pali is named after the Paliwal Brahmins who once inhabited the area. Ancient Pali housed a highly evolved civilization. The land, was leased by the then chief of Mandore (the former capital of Jodhpur district), was cultivated diligently by the Paliwals who abandoned their former priestly profession.
Once a small village is famous for being the hometown of the premier business and industrial family the Birlas. The town is also for its The Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani is an all-India Institute for higher education. Its engineering college is reputed to be the top ten colleges in India.
Is located on the junction of Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Bikaner Road. It is on route to Jaisalmer and is also a fort town though the fort is not of the dimensions of Jaisalmer or Jodhpur. Pokran also came into limelight, as it was the site for India nuclear detonation. Pokran is also renowned for its furniture and interior crafts.
Sojat city, is situated on the left bank of the Sukri River near Pali town, known as Tamravati in the ancient times, the fort has a big reservoir and several temples like Sejal Mata, Chaturbhuj and much more. The old temple of Chamunda Mata located on the top of one of the hillocks. Dargah of Pir Mastan is the main attraction at the time of Urs- the Muslim festival.
Tilonia is a small town 25 kms from Kishangarh near Ajmer and 7 kms off Jaipur-Ajmer highway. Barefoot college inspires this town, which began in 1972 with the conviction that solutions to rural problems lie within the community. The College, officially known as Social Work and Research Centre, addresses problems of drinking water, girl education, health & sanitation, rural unemployment, income generation, electricity and power, as well as social awareness and the conservation of ecological systems in rural communities.
It is located, 96 kms away from Jaipur. This is a quiet town which was ruled by tribes of 'Pathans' from Afghanistan. The focal point of Tonk is the Suneri Kothi, the Golden Bungalow. A fairly ordinary monument from outside, it has stunningly rich ornamental interiors. There are also some interesting building that accommodated the British office.